FAST EnduroDuel 2018 - Dec 29

Discuss our SCHEDULE and future events. Friendly trash talk encouraged.

Moderators: Jamie, Native

Loren Williams
Forum Admin
Drives: A Mirage
First Name: Loren
Last Name: Williams
Autox Car: A Mirage

Postby Loren » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:23 pm

This is going to be a very limited entry event... and it's going to be EPIC! First, some background...

An Endurocross is a multi-lap autocross. Instead of each run consisting of just one lap around a course, you'll do more like 4 or 5 laps per run. A FAST Enduro usually aims to do about 3-minute runs. Tires get hot. Engines get hot. Brakes fade. Drivers fade. It's a challenge to do a full event's worth of laps in just one run! It requires consistency and no major errors to win. It's huge fun, and it is one of the most popular FAST special events. The problem with an Endurocross? It is the absolute LEAST efficient way to run an autocross. Only one car on course rather than the typical two. Instead of starting a car every 25-30 seconds, we start one every 3 minutes. This limits the number of people who can attend, and usually limits us to 2 Enduro runs with a little single-lap practice at the beginning.

A FAST Duel is a unique tournament-style autocross event where two drivers compete on the same course at the same time with NO CLOCKS. Each driver starts on their own starting line with their opponent on the opposite side of the course. First one back to their own start/finish line wins! This is another extremely popular FAST special event. Times don't matter, all that matters is you and your opponent. It's the closest that autocross gets to head-to-head racing... until now.

The EnduroDuel combines both of those into one awesome event! Head-to-head competition for not just one lap, but THREE! It solves the problem of "one car on course at a time", so it makes more efficient use of time and give each driver a LOT more seat time!

Just like a regular Duel, you look across the course at the starting line and SEE your opponent. No clocks, no looking at time sheets and numbers. Just look over there, and there he is looking back at you. When you reach the half-way point, you can look across the course again... and there he is! Is he ahead? Is he behind? It's often hard to tell. Did he hit some cones or go off course somewhere? You just don't know! But, you just keep chasing him for 3 laps, trying to gain some distance. Come around to the finish... there he is again... and you can see... you might just finish first! Or... maybe it's obvious that you won't? But, you still keep hammering away because you don't know if your opponent coned out or not! You can still win... even if you don't cross the line first. Happens all the time!

You can't just win by getting the fastest run out of 3 or 4 or 6 runs. You have to be faster than your opponent on THAT run! And that run goes on for well over 2 minutes! That is EnduroDuel.

More details in the EnduroDuel Rules

Registration is currently limited to FAST Members only. (FAST Members are those who competed in 5 or more events LAST season) If you're a member and didn't get your invitation email, check your spam filter... and then email us if you need to.

MONDAY (12/3) at noon is when registration will be opened to everyone else. There will still be an entry requirement of at least 5 prior autocross events.

When open registration is available, you'll find it on our event list: http://fast.motorsportreg.com/

As of 12/1, only 13 of the total 40 driver slots are available. Act fast! (see what I did there?)
Loren Williams - Loren @ Invisiblesun.org
The "Push Harder, Suck Less" philosophy explained:
Push Harder - Drive as close to the limit of your tires as possible.
Suck Less - Drive something resembling a proper racing line.
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Postby Loren » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:29 am

Here's the new EnduroDuel course. It's nearly identical to the last Duel course, just a little longer and with a tighter crossover loop on the far end.

Hi-Res PDF Course Map

Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Postby Loren » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:15 am

As of this moment, there are 8 slots open. Get 'em while they're hot!
Jason Souza
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Souza
Autox Car: 2016 Subaru WRX

Postby JasonS » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Alas, I'm going to miss this one yet again. Going to be in NC that week. Had something going on every year for this event. Maybe someday :|
Doug Adams
FAST Elite
Drives: Rotary or Vette
First Name: Doug
Last Name: Adams
Autox Car: Rotary or Vette

Postby twistedwankel » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:37 pm

http://drivefast.org/wp/Misc/FAST_Endur ... s_2018.pdf

Whoa. Anything more complicated than my income tax form is way out of my ability. Good look with the "do not pass" rule. Loosely means "watch your ass". We might come and watch? Will be a great day for participants. :thumbwink:
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Postby Loren » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:57 am

Oh, ye of little faith.

Not to worry, the judges are tasked with watching your ass. If anyone gets closer than about 8-10 seconds, the match will be red-flagged.
Randy Barrera
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: S2000
First Name: Randy
Last Name: Barrera
Autox Car: S2000

Postby Rpwolf » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:12 am

Its pricey but as soon as I saw the map I was sold. I haven't raced much since spring and my tires are as hard as rocks but I know it'll be fun. Can't wait!
Les Davis
FAST Elite
Drives: Banana Beast
First Name: Les
Last Name: Davis
Autox Car: Banana Beast

Postby lddavis91 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:43 pm

JasonS wrote:Alas, I'm going to miss this one yet again. Going to be in NC that week. Had something going on every year for this event. Maybe someday :|
I'm with you there Jason, why does Loren have to be such a jerk and schedule this during the holiday week. Looks like a lot of fun.
'13 Corvette GS "Dark Knight", 0'92 Corvette 383 "Banana Beast" , '82 Solo Vee "Wheee Beast", '03 Expedition "Tow Beast 2.0", '16 SeaDoo GTX 155S "Sea Beast"
2014 CM Florida State Champion
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Postby Loren » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:30 pm

This event has been on the schedule since November 7, 2017. Don't know what to tell you.
Les Davis
FAST Elite

Postby lddavis91 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:56 pm

Loren wrote:This event has been on the schedule since November 7, 2017. Don't know what to tell you.
And your point is? Christmas/New Years week have been on the calendar this month since the Gregorian calendar was invented by Pope Gregory XIII in 1582. Knowledge of the event on the FAST calendar since Nov 7 2017 doesn't allow me to change the date of Christmas 2018. Of course as I predicted Monday night, the event has sold out already so ultimately it doesn't matter one bit to you that by scheduling it on this holiday week those of us who would dare go visit family out of town for Christmas would be excluded. I guess next year if I want to attend this epic event I will need to get my priorities in proper order. :-D
'13 Corvette GS "Dark Knight", 0'92 Corvette 383 "Banana Beast" , '82 Solo Vee "Wheee Beast", '03 Expedition "Tow Beast 2.0", '16 SeaDoo GTX 155S "Sea Beast"
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Postby Loren » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:18 pm

lddavis91 wrote:Of course as I predicted Monday night, the event has sold out already so ultimately it doesn't matter one bit to you that by scheduling it on this holiday week those of us who would dare go visit family out of town for Christmas would be excluded.
Les, we predicted that it would sell out when we scheduled it. We call that "good business".

We know that within a couple days of Jan 1, there are a lot of people who are traveling or otherwise engaged with family, so we know we can't plan a large event. We also know that there are a group of people who are NOT traveling, are bored at home, and would absolutely love to do an autocross. We learned this last year with an event on New Year's Eve.

So, we've got a date that we expect minimal attendance. And we've got a handful of special events that REQUIRE minimal attendance. To us, it makes sense to do one of those special events on that date.

It's not all about you, and you don't have to like it. (and you've already made it quite clear that you don't)
Les Davis
FAST Elite

Postby lddavis91 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Loren wrote:
lddavis91 wrote:Of course as I predicted Monday night, the event has sold out already so ultimately it doesn't matter one bit to you that by scheduling it on this holiday week those of us who would dare go visit family out of town for Christmas would be excluded.
Les, we predicted that it would sell out when we scheduled it. We call that "good business".

We know that within a couple days of Jan 1, there are a lot of people who are traveling or otherwise engaged with family, so we know we can't plan a large event. We also know that there are a group of people who are NOT traveling, are bored at home, and would absolutely love to do an autocross. We learned this last year with an event on New Year's Eve.

So, we've got a date that we expect minimal attendance. And we've got a handful of special events that REQUIRE minimal attendance. To us, it makes sense to do one of those special events on that date.

It's not all about you, and you don't have to like it. (and you've already made it quite clear that you don't)
Loren, I guess you are not getting at all that when I called you a "jerk" it was with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Yes, I am merely sore that I cannot attend this unique, innovative and very likely epic event because I stupidly chose to go visit my family in NC that week instead. Have fun!
Mike Brennan
Novice
Drives: 2016 Mustang Ecoboost
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Brennan
Autox Car: 2016 Mustang Ecoboost

Postby Bigdog » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:28 pm

lddavis91 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:11 pm
Loren wrote:

Loren, I guess you are not getting at all that when I called you a "jerk" it was with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Yes, I am merely sore that I cannot attend this unique, innovative and very likely epic event because I stupidly chose to go visit my family in NC that week instead. Have fun!
Good timing for us that hang out during the holidays. gives us something special to look forward to.

Not sure why or if any help, but would be interesting to look at the seeding before the event. I guess it is to just say "OH SHIT". Well at least I will get three practice run and two elims.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :thumbwink:
---------- ----------
Drives: Whatever has more miles than anything on the grid
First Name: ----------
Last Name: ----------
Autox Car: Whatever has more miles than anything on the grid

Postby Jamie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:19 pm

lddavis91 wrote:I cannot attend this unique, innovative and very likely epic event because I stupidly chose to go visit my family in NC that week instead.
[tongue firmly in cheek]QYB. I have to go up even further north (snow, dammit...I have to deal with SNOW this year!), and I told 'em I have to be back down here for the weekend.[/TFIC]
Jamie
'01 Miata, '92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
Cliff Bordwell
Novice
Drives: Dodge Challenger
First Name: Cliff
Last Name: Bordwell
Autox Car: Dodge Challenger

Postby cab33 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:27 am

Course looks like fun... great to have something to do during the holiday weekends.
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Postby Loren » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:58 pm

Did you know there are still two entries open for the EnduroDuel? It's true.

Return to “Upcoming Autocross”