The Not-A-Project Miata Project

Working on building up a car? Tell us about it here!

Moderators: Native, Jamie

Kyle Shader
Autocrosser
Drives: 1996 Miata
First Name: Kyle
Last Name: Shader
Autox Car: 1996 Miata

Postby Kshader » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:38 pm

CaptainSquirts wrote:Do they make sway bars that are softer than factory? If not, then springs could also be the answer, but may affect dailability.
Also wouldn’t be allowed for stock class though. I think I’m one of the few Miata drivers who enjoy having a rear sway bar. But I remember with stock springs the car definitely had a tendency for oversteer. Removing the rear bar sounds like the quick and easy solution.
The Miata in M3 with the gold white wheels
Taylor Royal
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: '13 Mazdaspeed3 / '99 Miata
First Name: Taylor
Last Name: Royal
Autox Car: '13 Mazdaspeed3 / '99 Miata

Postby Evil MS3 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:44 pm

Kshader wrote:
CaptainSquirts wrote:Do they make sway bars that are softer than factory? If not, then springs could also be the answer, but may affect dailability.
Also wouldn’t be allowed for stock class though. I think I’m one of the few Miata drivers who enjoy having a rear sway bar. But I remember with stock springs the car definitely had a tendency for oversteer. Removing the rear bar sounds like the quick and easy solution.
I also like mine with the stock rear bar and my RB FSB on full stiff. I'm on stock suspension and have found it to be easier to adapt how I drive with the RSB. I do have an open rear diff tho, which lessens the amount of oversteer I get.
#71 1999 S4 Mazda Miata
#71 2013 M2 Mazdaspeed3
Loren Williams
Forum Admin
Drives: A Mirage
First Name: Loren
Last Name: Williams
Autox Car: A Mirage

Postby Loren » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:37 pm

I've got a Flyin' Miata front bar, and when it was full stiff, the car understeered. I also wasn't crazy about the steering feel. Call me crazy, but I like to feel the suspension react at least a little bit to my inputs!

Anyhow... with the FM bar on full soft, I think dropping the rear bar might be the trick. Easy enough to test.

Daniel, nobody makes a smaller-than-stock swaybar for a Miata. Though there are several stock ones to choose from. The front can be 19 or 20... and I think 21. (the FM is 25mm solid) The rear can be 11 or 12, or 14 for the Mazdaspeed.

An 11mm bar is REALLY tiny. It's literally only about a 50# spring rate.
Loren Williams - Loren @ Invisiblesun.org
The "Push Harder, Suck Less" philosophy explained:
Push Harder - Drive as close to the limit of your tires as possible.
Suck Less - Drive something resembling a proper racing line.
Joe --
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: Miata
First Name: Joe
Last Name: --
Autox Car: Miata

Postby jev61 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:40 pm

Loren wrote: Daniel, nobody makes a smaller-than-stock swaybar for a Miata. Though there are several stock ones to choose from. The front can be 19 or 20... and I think 21. (the FM is 25mm solid) The rear can be 11 or 12, or 14 for the Mazdaspeed.

An 11mm bar is REALLY tiny. It's literally only about a 50# spring rate.
An NB Miata came with a 22mm front bar, a MSM came with a 23mm front bar. Rear was 11mm; 12mm for a Hard S car, MSM was 14mm. Sara's red Miata came with 22mm front, 11mm rear. She now has a 23mm front with the orginal 11mm rear. Car is a little bit lively.
Joe Vance
Be debt free! http://www.daveramsey.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Postby Loren » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:09 pm

I used to remember all the which Miata came with what stuff... then I forgot. :lol:

So, I should have a 12mm rear bar. If removing it is too much, I could find an 11.
Joe --
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: Miata
First Name: Joe
Last Name: --
Autox Car: Miata

Postby jev61 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:47 am

Loren wrote:I used to remember all the which Miata came with what stuff... then I forgot. :lol:

So, I should have a 12mm rear bar. If removing it is too much, I could find an 11.
I have three NBs to help me remember NBs. I should have a 11, I will look this afternoon.
Joe Vance
Be debt free! http://www.daveramsey.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Benji Wheaton
Forum Admin
Drives: 17 Lexus IS 200t
First Name: Benji
Last Name: Wheaton
Autox Car: 17 Lexus IS 200t

Postby BrilloHeadBen » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:19 pm

I always found the car to still have a tad too much oversteer even with the FM bar at full stiff until I unbolted an endlink for the rear bar. That made the car acceptably neutral to me. But at this point, it's hardly the same car anymore. Oh, the rear camber was -1.8 IIRC unless you've already changed that too.
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Postby Loren » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:44 pm

Disconnected rear bar for the Enduro. Absolutely loved it! The car felt pretty good on the test laps with the bar on, but couldn't put power down like I wanted to coming out of the turn-arounds. With the bar off, it was MUCH better. Wasn't enough to bring the balance to understeer, but definitely lest oversteer. Very controllable, too.

In other news: I finally ordered the window regulator on December 25. Got an email within a few days telling me that it was not in stock and would take some time to get, do I want to cancel? Fine. I need it. Nobody else has it, either. Send it when you get it!

It arrived today. Wrong damned part. Part number is one digit off. They sent me the left side rather than the right side. :bangwall:
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Postby Loren » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:16 am

Correct window regulator received and installed! Finally got the interior back together with no vice grips holding the window up!

Also got the speed sensor swapped to match the diff so that my speedometer reads more accurately. (was reading 5 mph slower than actual)

And went ahead and removed the rear swaybar that I'd previously disconnected.

Slow progress toward making this Miata both a better street car AND a better autocross car!

Return to “Projects”