Value: 1998 Evo V?

Working on building up a car? Tell us about it here!

Moderators: Native, Jamie

Tim --
FAST Elite
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
First Name: Tim
Last Name: --
Autox Car: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Postby Tim_M » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:51 am

Came across this in my German travels...1998 Evo V

and

and

Car has been sitting without an engine/trans for ~4 years. Appears interior is relatively complete (few modifications) and understand the engine is hurt. Don't believe the wheels are OEM (snowtires on front!), but the body appears to be without major dents/repair/rust although I haven't examined the underside closely. Believe it would be a perfect project (I enjoy engines) to rejuvenate and put back on the road.

Since I have another assistant coming of age, the itch is getting worse for a project to share some experiences...probably too cool of a first car, right hand drive, turbo, wing, and all for a young lady, no? :-D

Car should be importable about the time I return to the states...curious at would folks would pay for a stagnant project?
Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:23 am

Uh oh...got a text that car is for sale finally after engaging for 18 months...

1998 GSR model, 52,000 miles, no rust that has been sitting for 4 years supposedly complete minus pistons/rings...sure! Boxes of bolts means a pretty big project!

Price is much higher than I anticipated...but it is rust free and apparently, these cars were built with very little seam sealer and/or undercoating.

Car had a failed ignition coil that let a spark plug into the cylinder (?) and took out the block and piston. A bored EVO 6 block is included with aftermarket H-beam rods.

Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:19 pm

Took another look today...

Evo 6 block:

Evo 9 turbo (OEM):

Cusco twin disk clutch ($2000?):

Only bit of rust on the car (I know foreign to those in Florida):

Also comes with decent Japanese Wedssport wheels (17X8), Bilstein coil overs, and upon inspection of the cylinder head...Cosworth cams.

Pending paperwork, we might have ourselves another project:

Loren Williams
Forum Admin
Drives: A Mirage
First Name: Loren
Last Name: Williams
Autox Car: A Mirage

Postby Loren » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:21 pm

Tim_M wrote:Car had a failed ignition coil that let a spark plug into the cylinder (?) and took out the block and piston. A bored EVO 6 block is included with aftermarket H-beam rods.
Translation: "I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, and I'm hoping you don't, either. I overboosted the shit out of this thing and it done blowed up. Now I'm way over my own head with this project and can't complete it. But, I think it's worth a lot more than it is."

Don't pay too much for it. What would the car be worth it was currently running and driving? What would you expect to be able to SELL it for on the open market? Whatever that price is, you shouldn't be paying more than half that.

Buying someone else's project is never a good idea. But, if you know what you're getting into and are willing to spend the time and money finishing this guy's Frankenstein engine swap project...
Loren Williams - Loren @ Invisiblesun.org
The "Push Harder, Suck Less" philosophy explained:
Push Harder - Drive as close to the limit of your tires as possible.
Suck Less - Drive something resembling a proper racing line.
Joe --
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: Miata
First Name: Joe
Autox Car: Miata

Postby jev61 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:19 pm

Loren wrote:"I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, and I'm hoping you don't, either.
:thought:
Joe Vance
Be debt free! http://www.daveramsey.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:52 pm

Loren: you seem a bit sour on projects! Not still recovering from the S10 V8 ordeal? :)

Surely the German to English and my willingness to understand why the car broke 4 years ago was mostly to blame (ie didn't consume much of my interest). More importantly is what is part of the deal and it looks pretty doable even in a foreign land. Other than lack of bagged/tagged items (all Evos use nearly the same 2.0 motor), this might be a bit easier than sliding a GMC truck motor into the M3 - lots of custom.

The Evo 5 (1998) is nearly the newest car we can get to be able to import into the US on our rotation date (an Evo 6 (1999) is right at the limit). I think the best looking of the breed too (ugly!). Timing is optimal...willing partner and time to git'r done. We will see if the paperwork is doable...US folks have significant restrictions - limited to 3 autos, limited inoperative vehicle durations, parking requirements (heck, even washing my car on Sunday is against the 'man'!)...and working in a Japanese domestic market car imported into Germany and then into the overseas American registration system is the real test and we haven't even tried the move to Florida!

But, teaching a youngster how a car is made up of 5,000 pieces working in unison (we hope) might be worth it.
Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:42 pm

Well, Friday was my birthday and the vehicle registration gods were considerate. Without actually doing the paperwork they gave the process a greenlight. It will go from non-operative German registration to non-op American registration in Germany. I will get 90 days automatic, but must ask for 12 months which will generate a package to be reviewed/approved. Then we have a timeline until the car either passes inspection or disposed of. There might be more wiggle room, but that was the jist of the discussion.

We've got one more hurdle and with any luck we may be collecting said vehicle on Saturday.

May start a new thread if goes as planned...thanks!
Brian K-
FAST Elite
Drives: 1991 Nissan 240 SX
First Name: Brian
Last Name: K-
Autox Car: 1991 Nissan 240 SX

Postby Solar » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:19 pm

Hey Tim, you may have over looked a pretty obvious issue, but the steering wheel is on the wrong side..... ;)
Brian K
1991 Nissan 240SX Class: "I HAVE NO"
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" - Stephen Wright
Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:35 pm

Brian! And I thought I just flipped the film negative - ha! Good to hear from you...

The transaction has been delayed, but still in-work.

Learned a bit more on these 4G63 4 cylinder engines. If detonation occurs, common for the spark plugs to be damaged - ground strap/porcelin/center electrode to depart and fall into the engine. A failing coil might be a contributor, but a bad tune is likely the issue. If it was enough to take the block/piston out, we'll have to examine the cylinder head and even the turbo pretty closely. Something to do in these COVID times for sure.
Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:26 am

Halloween brought something to the household...trick or treat, remains to be seen:

Spent most of the day cleaning (4 rolls of paper towels, vacuuming) inventory and pondering our mental state at all the unfamiliar parts. Guess I will start a new thread...this one may not be as successful as the V8 M3 hot rod...

:dunno:
---------- ----------
Drives: Whatever has more miles than anything on the grid
First Name: ----------
Last Name: ----------
Autox Car: Whatever has more miles than anything on the grid

Postby Jamie » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:33 pm

Going straight for frights, are you? :)
Jamie
'01 Miata, '92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
Brian K-
FAST Elite
Drives: 1991 Nissan 240 SX
First Name: Brian
Last Name: K-
Autox Car: 1991 Nissan 240 SX

Postby Solar » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:28 am

Thats going to be one hell of a project, I'm assuming you're sourced a service manual and have already joined a EVO forum/chat group. You plan on shipping it state side ? If you get it back over here I can give you a wrenching hand on a few Saturdays. Looks like a solid car, if it gets to be to much to bring that engine back to running order you can always stuff a LS3 in it :grin:
Brian K
1991 Nissan 240SX Class: "I HAVE NO"
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" - Stephen Wright
Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:45 pm

Brian: If we are still wrenching on it in 3 years...we have bigger issues! Seriously, appreciate the offer and we hope to return to Tampa area with JDM Evo...it will be legal in 2023 so keeping our fingers crossed the stars align for that goal.

Surprisingly, not as much detail on this 22 year old car...at least not in English. Few were imported in Germany...largest market is UK and they sort of speak the language.

Jamie: Nah, 400 CHP ought to be dumbed down with the AWD. I hope to be under 3000 pounds though.
Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:36 pm

Closing this thread as it was superseded with this one:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3901

Return to “Projects”