1998 Evolution V GSR: Classroom

Working on building up a car? Tell us about it here!

Moderators: Native, Jamie

Tim --
FAST Elite
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
First Name: Tim
Last Name: --
Autox Car: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Postby Tim_M » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:46 pm

Believe Mark Twain said something like "Don't let the classroom get in the way of learning". This project takes a pointer from that advice...

1998 Mitsubishi Evolution V GSR, Japanese Domestic Market model. Imported into Germany in 2010, at least one engine failure and ever since 2015 has sat dormant without a powerplant/transmission at a local repair shop.

Covered in mold and tree leaves/sap, the 52,000 mile chassis looked solid and complete, but not for sale:

It appears 1998 was when the Evolutions became serious with rally inspired design. Aluminum hood/front fenders/suspension, Brembo brakes, Recaro seats, Momo steering wheel, active yaw differential (rear only), front mounted intercooler (with water sprayer) and the long-lived turbo 4G63 2 liter rated at 276 HP with a 5 speed.

It was also my first memory of seeing such a function-over-form auto...used car lot on Okinawa, Japan while stationed at Kadena AB. I didn't know what to make of it, but looking thru the actual vents/holes, one could actually see turbo manifolding, intercooler, and an oil cooler! Stuff was real especially back in those days!

Nonetheless, been bugging the owner for more than a year about selling the carcass. Thinking it would make a perfect project to educate a young whipper snapper...hopefully not turn them into a grease monkey like pop, but gain some understanding of mechanics, project management, budget, tuning, and of course the thrill ride of making it come alive and learn to 'drive'. Few weeks ago, received a text with the news...complete car minus pistons/rings/bearings...you assemble.

We did this for the whippersnapper brother with a 1997 BMW M3 which turned out better than expected:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/show ... ith-LS-T56

It was also a running machine...this one is not...with years of stagnation...in a foreign land with a foreign car.

Should be fun or a miserable failure.

Last edited by Tim_M on Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loren Williams
Forum Admin
Drives: A Mirage
First Name: Loren
Last Name: Williams
Autox Car: A Mirage

Postby Loren » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:11 pm

Tim_M wrote:Should be fun or a miserable failure.
Or miserable fun, which is the best kind.
Loren Williams - Loren @ Invisiblesun.org
The "Push Harder, Suck Less" philosophy explained:
Push Harder - Drive as close to the limit of your tires as possible.
Suck Less - Drive something resembling a proper racing line.
Daniel Dejon
FAST Elite
Drives: 2006 Lancer Evolution
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Dejon
Autox Car: 2006 Lancer Evolution

Postby CaptainSquirts » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:43 pm

Nice Evo :lol: . Granted I've never pulled or done motor work but these cars are pretty easy to work on (transmission is annoying but like on most vehicles), sure it'll be a peace of cake for you.

All the components u got on the ground look pretty similar to mine. Interesting enough the USD evo 8/9 didn't get ayc, just an acd(active center diff). Also the evo 8 came with the intercooler sprayer but removed it from the 9.

Even though its really early but I'm assuming you're going to track it. The evo 8/9 have some oil starvation issues(may not be an issue on older models but assuming they would have the problem as well) on high G right handers. So if you're tracking it I recommend getting the oil pan modified to be baffled (most don't work, but Racefab in new zealand will mod up your oil pan and it actually works, they have the data to back it up).
Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:17 pm

Loren: We do expect some trying times...just makes it that much more memorable, no? ;)

Daniel: Long time no hear! Good input on the oil pan. I could see this car getting a nice airborne shot at the Nurburgring - that would be complete success in my book. Admittedly, I'm making an effort in not modifying as we go...must get it running soonest due to American/German rules. So we will use the parts provided. The owner stated ~ 400 CHP with what we have...

The goods:

52,176 miles:

Rust free body which is not insignificant, I've learned:

Freshly bored Evo 6 block (hope to verify Wednesday):

Oliver connecting rods:

Possibly an Evo 9 turbo although the numbers don't seem to add up, the measured side does:

Cosworth cam (singular!):

Clean trunk:

A quality twin disc clutch:

Complete interior except the OEM radio and shift knob...

The not so goods:

Not sure how this goes together:

Lots of lights...which have to be corrected in Germany to receive roadworthiness (possibly the AYC is not an issue):

Exhaust cam does not match the intake...
2 buckets of a 100 bolts...

Can you tell which cylinder was not healthy?

Other bits...it comes with a full aftermarket 3 inch exhaust (with cat), HKS 'mushroom' intake, unmarred Wedsport wheels (17X 8), and Bilstein coil over suspension (unsure condition).
Loren Williams
Forum Admin
Drives: A Mirage
First Name: Loren
Last Name: Williams
Autox Car: A Mirage

Postby Loren » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:48 pm

More power + uber clutch = broken transmission/diff/axles?

Or is the Evo not prone to that?
Loren Williams - Loren @ Invisiblesun.org
The "Push Harder, Suck Less" philosophy explained:
Push Harder - Drive as close to the limit of your tires as possible.
Suck Less - Drive something resembling a proper racing line.
Daniel Dejon
FAST Elite

Postby CaptainSquirts » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:50 pm

Itll take 400 easy, just dont dump the clutch.
Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:07 pm

Simple stuff first...

Cleaning:

Waxing a bit...went from chalk to shine - excellent!:

And the extreme fun of fastener cleaning/organization. Unfortunately, quite a few singletons and non-factory pieces:

Still haven't fully confirmed the turbo model...claimed to be an Evo 9, but the numbers don't check out...although the physical characteristics do. Unsure how significant the difference is, but the published HP possible between the 8 and 9 model is near 100 HP-maybe a typo though.

Either way, we will use what we have.

Crossing our fingers, the registration transfer happens tomorrow.
Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:13 am

Success! American vehicle registration accepted the German registration transfer for this JDM import car that has been non-operative for 5 years...directly to non-operative Amercian status. Quite a few "I don't think we can do that's" during the 60 mins session. From lack of German plates to non-op German status to why did you buy this car??? Luckily I had gained valuable info couple of weeks back from one of the more seasoned experts...who happened to be in the room next door. Several visits and confirmations...granted registration. We have 90 days to get it operational...although a 12 month request package was submitted (but not always approved!)

Turbo: verified that we indeed have a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Evo 9 turbo...just over the counter rather than from a car. Best of the breed it appears and will be perfect for our application.

We realized both intake and exhaust cams are from Cosworth - great news! But they appear to be less street friendly than we desire (atleast a stage 2, if not stage 3...):

Intake:

Exhaust:

Factory installed oil cooler...guess it is standard for the Evo line (nice):

Metal rear wing...4 position adjustable...(gimmick, but cool):

Flat:

Full down:

More waxing...love socks!:

Someone had fun...or was a poser (aftermarket seat belt anchors):

Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:27 pm

Shot of the freshly decked Evo 6 block:

As a baseline, we will likely send in the - appears to be original - fuel injectors for cleaning and new o-rings:

Admittedly, I hope to exceed their capacity ultimately, but will be a good set for the inspection/emissions review, if required:

We also pulled a wheel to inspect and investigate what we have...she does pretty good on the impact wrench!

A bit crusty...even with a bit of clean up:

Can anyone tell us what Bilstein coil over variant this might be? Hopefully they are usable:

We are planning on new wheel bearings, rotors, pads, brake lines (SS currently installed) and possibly some new ball joints, at least in the rear. We are also considering having the calipers rebuilt and recoated...brakes are a good investment!
Daniel Dejon
FAST Elite

Postby CaptainSquirts » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Looks like Bilstein PSS coilovers.
Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:13 pm

Daniel: Do they have different models of coilovers? I see B14/B16 mentioned. I was hoping the numbers would equate to a specific model to verify their purpose quality. I assume they will ride a bit harsh, but it is supposed to be a fun car...
Eric Gwatney
FAST Elite
Drives: 00 Suburban
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Gwatney
Autox Car: 00 Suburban

Postby shakedown067 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:26 pm

Badass project! Have fun with that. My boys try to help, but lasts about 20 minutes and they are off.
Eric Gwatney
Formerly - 1996 LT-1 Corvette - #67 - M1
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague desire for something salty..." - Peter Egan
http://www.facebook.com/Shakedown067
http://www.instagram.com/Shakedown067
Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:00 pm

Eric: thanks! It has been ages...glad to see your still kicking! Small bites for sure. I keep testing her on how a turbo works...hasn't quite sunk in...

Nearly entire car has been waxed...overall, quite pleased at the lack of damage, etc.  Some blended paint, few minor dents, so looks pretty good from 3 meters!

Ordered a number of internal parts to get the engine build going.  We did elect to go with GSC I cams to replace the undetermined current Cosworth's and to make the car a bit more docile.  A set of middle of the road GSC valve springs were included and will hopefully allow some 8000 rpm shifts, when needed.   

Tonight was another big step - motor is nearly mounted on the stand (and off the dirty floor):

We also splurged on a bit of warmth as the days get colder:

Steve --
Forum Admin
Drives: whatever I can get my hands on
First Name: Steve
Autox Car: whatever I can get my hands on

Postby Native » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:47 am

Thanks for posting your adventures, Tim.
Living vicariously...
Steven Frank
Class M3 Miata
Proud disciple of the "Push Harder, Suck Less" School of Autocross

Postby Tim_M » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:15 pm

Steve: Thanks for the post. This 3D puzzle might actually be quite an adventure...as parts fall off at 150 mph!

Contacted Oliver who was quite confident these connecting rods were theirs (no markings except the ARP bolt!).

This is very good as it is an excellent rod that doesn't require any machine work. Just pop in new bearing shells. We went one step further with a new set of bolts. $14 a piece! Yes they are quite specific and has one of the most critical jobs of an engine. One of these lets go...complete engine loss!

Oliver did state the conservative rpm limit is only 7500 rpm...I think we are quite safe with light weight pistons at 8000 rpm.
Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:48 am

Necessary, but most unpleasant is the fun of cleaning and cleaning. She is a good sport if not exactly detail orientated...yet!

We did locate a powdercoater north of Stuttgart...not sure how many speed camera fines I got today (speeds vary terribly in the city)...in hopes to return the spray painted valve cover to its original 'red-head' glory:

Hopefully once new/restored parts arrive the enthusiasm will gain steam. The winter hibernation doesn't help either.
Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:01 pm

Ordered some new front control arms (aluminum jobs) since they come with a new ball joint and two OEM bushings...tighten up the front end a bit.

We also took advantage of the above-freezing-day and attempted a cleaning of the floor mats - look OEM. Unfortunately, didn't realize we are missing the driverside! Oh well, assistants first foray into power washing...not easy for the little lady - they did turn out quite well with Simple Green soaking...:

Love the seats...nice tight bolsters and pretty darn good condition:

The trunk mounted AYC reservoir (there was fluid present!):

Before cleaning:

And this craziness...:

Have no idea what happened here..
Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:57 pm

Life getting in the way a bit...shiny parts beginning to arrive...

Decided to splurge on the front arms - new bushings/ball joint replacing the current questionables:

Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:02 am

Gainfully employed selling Christmas trees for the Boy Scouts...finally got a few minutes in the garage.

Inspection of the Evo 6 block highlighted more missing parts - piston oil squirters. Factory equipped in 1998...now missing on this replacement block. Unfortunately, not easily sourced (no longer available). Many say not required with forged pistons, but seems only logical to employ to reduce piston temps/knock resistance...or not if we can't find any:

One outfit offers high quality ball joints for the rear suspension. Car uses 3 per side on 3 different arms! This Evo 5 only has one rear suspension arm as aluminum with the other 2 as cast iron. We were tempted to just buy new OEM from the Evo 6 for all alloy suspension (and will probably regret it when no longer available), but th eprice was ~$250 each! We have access to a full press so another teaching moment in the manner of big forces...these were sure packaged nicely...

Oliver Rods came thru with a replacement set of ARP 2000/Oliver rod bolts. They made a special trip to get these to us - thanks!

Finally, new Brembo caliper bolts - originals are unknown in condition and after planned professionally refinishing the calipers...desired no hassle install:

Tim --
FAST Elite

Postby Tim_M » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:39 pm

Another package - fresh DBA rotors:

Not sure where the rears are...;-)

Return to “Projects”