5/17 - Dunnellon Airport - Long Way From Home

Discuss past FAST events. How did it go?

Moderators: Native, Jamie

Mike Lawson
Autocrosser
Drives: 2016 FR-S
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Lawson
Autox Car: 2016 FR-S

Postby Z1NONLY » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:01 pm

Thanks for another well-organized event. Tonda and I had fun, as we always do with FAST.

Here's my fastest run:
phpBB [media]

And my excuse for the extra steering input entering the first slalom lol:

*Edit* I just noticed that they counted my red-flag time and tossed one of my other runs to facilitate the re-run. My first run shows as 47.965 :rolling: They still counted my fastest run so no harm/no foul.
Last edited by Z1NONLY on Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan -B-
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: Mazda Free (As Mike Brewer would say)
First Name: Dan
Last Name: -B-
Autox Car: Mazda Free (As Mike Brewer would say)

Postby dbeng » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:38 pm

I had a great time. Really enjoyed the the new site and the course.
When I first saw news of an event in Dunnellon, it seemed too far, and I thought I'd try it out but wouldn't be excited about going back - but I proved myself completely wrong! I enjoyed the drive up & back and am looking forward to another visit in future :)
Even though I placed firmly last in class, it was a great day's entertainment. Looking back at my times, I made progress in every one of my first seven runs, each one a little faster ending up with a 38.3. I over-drove the 8th run but oh well!

Loren took a couple of runs in my car which always makes for a good benchmark and managed a 38.1, Philip jumped in and hustled through the slalom way faster than I thought possible with a 37.7, so now I knew I could get more time out of it.
I took a couple of fun runs and finally hit my target of getting into the 37s with a 37.998 - two thousandths but I'll take it.

The relaxed format was fun, with the assigned work groups allowing plenty of time to complete the timed runs and grab a few fun runs too.

Thanks to everyone for making the event run smoothly, see you in a couple of weeks in Brooksville.
Dan
Doug Adams
FAST Elite
Drives: Rotary or Vette
First Name: Doug
Last Name: Adams
Autox Car: Rotary or Vette

Postby twistedwankel » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:50 pm

Jamie wrote:No air conditioning in those spamcans, either -- cracking the door on the ground lets some of the breeze in. And he was probably cussing you out, too -- those engines are air cooled, and idling at rest doesn't produce that much airflow from the prop.
The 2nd time across the runway for lunch I lucked out as a airport (worker?) truck with a trailer (no emerg flashers or lights on) was stopped at the stop sign and we just sat and watched what went on. Similar situation. Only this time fortunately we were all far enough back so the plane on the taxiway in front of us could cross the runway completely, turn around and wait for a landing airplane to use the taxiway. Then he then promptly took off. The truck and I followed the taxiing airplane at a pretty good clip 500ft back. That all made a lot of sense.

The final 20 minute plane was sitting still long before we got to the stop sign. No planes landed. Never budged. Neither did we. Finally making sure there were no aircraft approaching we slowly started to cross the runway 5mph and went over to the shoulder of the taxiway no where near him. We never did see him take off. I assumed he had some issues with the plane. Certainly didn't want to piss off anyone at the airport. The fact we never saw him takeoff made me feel he did have a problem. For all we know he went back to the hangar? I didn't "get" (knowing those things are air cooled) why he kept it running so long sitting still? Car air temp said 91F.

At least I know now why the door kept opening. It's a process. Wife and I were a little dehydrated with a shorter fuse than normal. But I would do the same thing again unless told not too budge ever. Could have gone back for course teardown/awards and watch Farmtruck get a 2nd place sticker in my car behind the FTD.
Loren Williams
Forum Admin
Drives: The FASTiva
First Name: Loren
Last Name: Williams
Autox Car: The FASTiva

Postby Loren » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Z1NONLY wrote:And my excuse for the extra steering input entering the first slalom lol:
We expect more from you, Mike. Next time, nudge it back into the box!
*Edit* I just noticed that they counted my red-flag time and tossed one of my other runs to facilitate the re-run. My first run shows as 47.965 :rolling: They still counted my fastest run so no harm/no foul.
Unsupervised noob in timing. (sometimes we do that at a Classic... "hold start and yell if you need help") He either missed the red flag, or just didn't know to mark it as a rerun. When you came up for your 9th run and said it was your 8th, we wanted to be sure that run counted... and we didn't know at that point which run should have been the rerun. So, we put it on your slowest run.

Glad y'all had fun!
Loren Williams - Loren @ Invisiblesun.org
The "Push Harder, Suck Less" philosophy explained:
Push Harder - Drive as close to the limit of your tires as possible.
Suck Less - Drive something resembling a proper racing line.
Bill L-
Novice
Drives: Golf Sportwagen
First Name: Bill
Last Name: L-
Autox Car: Golf Sportwagen

Postby mymomswagon » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:40 pm

Definitely had fun. Slippery surface plus recent car changes made my runs interesting and best runs were a little crazy. Hit too many cones trying to figure out how to slip around them. Sorry about that.

Like Nate, found the heat a little challenging in spite of down time in an ac car. Not sure how you open cockpit folks manage :salute:

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Doug Adams
FAST Elite

Postby twistedwankel » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:47 pm

https://youtu.be/K3qWIBYosI8
My fastest #2 of 3 runs on the day. No excuses. I got beat by a girl. Doesn't happen often since wife lost her cuffs. Loren's very first run of the event with me in the car and he pulled a 36.89 beating me by .4 sec. Then Farm Truck on his only clean run out of 4 attempts beats me by 1.5 seconds with a 35.75sec. He did in fact get the award for SRD = Shortest Run of the Day. He made it all the way to the 3rd cone. :lol:

Now you know why I don't make many videos of my runs :binky: Then I have to watch myself go slow. :snore:
Philip / Travis Petrie
FAST Elite
Drives: 1996 Mazda Miata
First Name: Philip / Travis
Last Name: Petrie
Autox Car: 1996 Mazda Miata

Postby Carracer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Watching that Farm guy run I can't believe he has any clue how to drive. I think I no he/she did just about everything wrong. Stayed in the gas way too long and had the reaction time of a snail after eating turkey.
Philip / Travis Petrie
FAST Elite
Drives: 1996 Mazda Miata
First Name: Philip / Travis
Last Name: Petrie
Autox Car: 1996 Mazda Miata

Postby Carracer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:15 pm

phpBB [media]

What amazes me about this video is Loren's voice is so calm. Just like he is just out for a Sunday drive.
Loren Williams
Forum Admin
Drives: The FASTiva
First Name: Loren
Last Name: Williams
Autox Car: The FASTiva

Postby Loren » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:25 pm

That's how I got the title "Professor".
Loren Williams - Loren @ Invisiblesun.org
The "Push Harder, Suck Less" philosophy explained:
Push Harder - Drive as close to the limit of your tires as possible.
Suck Less - Drive something resembling a proper racing line.
Doug Adams
FAST Elite

Postby twistedwankel » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:34 pm

dbeng wrote:I took a couple of fun runs and finally hit my target of getting into the 37s with a 37.998 - two thousandths but I'll take it.
Dan,
Don't sell yourself short. You have a "daily driver". You were ONLY .7 tenth behind me in a weekend S2 "race car". Well done. You want to try your hand at a real "race car" C5 next time? Make your balls swell. Make your wife happy when you explain it.

Doug
Jason Souza
Autocrosser
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Souza
Autox Car: 2016 Subaru WRX

Postby JasonS » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:30 am

That was my bad. I didnt realize you were on course when the red flag happened and I didnt hear a call for a rerun so I didnt notice it until Tonda told me before your last run. So I looked for you slowest time and marked it as a rerun. Sorry about that :(
Mike Lawson
Autocrosser
Drives: 2016 FR-S
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Lawson
Autox Car: 2016 FR-S

Postby Z1NONLY » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:45 pm

JasonS wrote:
That was my bad. I didnt realize you were on course when the red flag happened and I didnt hear a call for a rerun so I didnt notice it until Tonda told me before your last run. So I looked for you slowest time and marked it as a rerun. Sorry about that :(
The red flag/rerun happened in the first heat. I think you were driving then?

Either way, I didn't lose my best run so no big deal.
Jason Souza
Autocrosser
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Souza
Autox Car: 2016 Subaru WRX

Postby JasonS » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:58 pm

That would explain why I never heard a call for a rerun.
Doug Adams
FAST Elite

Postby twistedwankel » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm still marveling at the exact tie between Jay Stannard and Mike Lawson. 34.063 :o
Dan -B-
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: Mazda Free (As Mike Brewer would say)
First Name: Dan
Last Name: -B-
Autox Car: Mazda Free (As Mike Brewer would say)

Postby dbeng » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:04 pm

twistedwankel wrote:
Dan,
Don't sell yourself short. You have a "daily driver". You were ONLY .7 tenth behind me in a weekend S2 "race car". Well done. You want to try your hand at a real "race car" C5 next time? Make your balls swell. Make your wife happy when you explain it.

Doug
Doug, that offer is definitely too good to refuse! It's not every day a chance comes along to race a Corvette, no way I will pass on that opportunity.
Do remember though, my only RWD autocross experience has been a few runs in Philip's Miata and the one run in Moby. Not necessarily a stellar resume for piloting a Corvette - I will probably drive it like an old man.. wait, that doesn't sound right in this context! Like an older man? No now I'm just digging a deeper hole. :blackeye:
Anyhow, thanks for the offer. I will shoot you a PM shortly.
Dan

Return to “Past”