Jan 13th is in the Sock now. A memory.

Discuss past FAST events. How did it go?

Moderators: Jamie, Native

Doug Adams
FAST Elite
Drives: Rotary or Vette
First Name: Doug
Last Name: Adams
Autox Car: Rotary or Vette

Postby twistedwankel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:58 pm

The times are posted = awesome timing work.

Hopefully no one had to wet themselves to get warm this afternoon.
According to the Airport Weather website the chill factor was 40F at 4:30pm when we finished. 46F, 15mph, 72% humidity. You all felt that one first hand.

I absolutely loved this course even tho' there was no grip off the starting line. Could have used 2nd gear for the entire course including the start. I am especially happy to have ended up on the same second as Phillip did.... :thumbwink: I am also very pleased to have finished 4th in R1 behind the Exocet and the Datsun by 3.1 seconds but there were 6 of us actually showed up in R1 and the Exocet beat me twice (the 2nd time by .17 second).

Everyone was warned to dress up like an onion. I asked Steve if he had any warm water at the end and he offered me something slightly different but warm :lol:

I did pay attention to everyone who told me they left a lot of time out on course. I looked everywhere but couldn't find it until my last coldest run. I found a whole second that Loren left out there in several places (I think) but not off the starting line - he beat me there I think the first 30ft.

I think everyone really enjoyed the event even tho' the cones were stiffer than my Vette's nose so i stayed away from them.

Thanks for putting up a great event and keeping the rain away like was there Friday. Thanks to Rowen and Joe B. for the "lessons" = big help.
Matt Sullivan
FAST Elite
Drives: 05 Mazdaspeed MX-5
First Name: Matt
Last Name: Sullivan
Autox Car: 05 Mazdaspeed MX-5

Postby Lava Speed 05 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:59 pm

twistedwankel wrote:The times are posted = awesome timing work.

Hopefully no one had to wet themselves to get warm this afternoon.
According to the Airport Weather website the chill factor was 40F at 4:30pm when we finished. 46F, 15mph, 72% humidity. You all felt that one first hand.

I absolutely loved this course even tho' there was no grip off the starting line. Could have used 2nd gear for the entire course including the start. I am especially happy to have ended up on the same second as Phillip did.... :thumbwink: I am also very pleased to have finished 4th in R1 behind the Exocet and the Datsun by 3.1 seconds but there were 6 of us actually showed up in R1 and the Exocet beat me twice (the 2nd time by .17 second).

Everyone was warned to dress up like an onion. I asked Steve if he had any warm water at the end and he offered me something slightly different but warm

I did pay attention to everyone who told me they left a lot of time out on course. I looked everywhere but couldn't find it until my last coldest run. I found a whole second that Loren left out there in several places (I think) but not off the starting line - he beat me there I think the first 30ft.

I think everyone really enjoyed the event even tho' the cones were stiffer than my Vette's nose so i stayed away from them.

Thanks for putting up a great event and keeping the rain away like was there Friday. Thanks to Rowen and Joe B. for the "lessons" = big help.
Second gear starts suck...

It was a fun day, I need to get over my fear of putting the car in the dirt and just push it harder... I can't wind up in the dirt on every run right? 🤣

Good job Nate and Taylor for taking my lunch money, and I'm drawing a blank on the name of the guy in the 135 who made me look worse than I do on my own. 🤤

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

-Matt
Mazdaspeed MX-5
Lava Orange Mica
#23 for 2005.
Daniel Dejon
FAST Elite
Drives: 2006 Lancer Evolution
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Dejon
Autox Car: 2006 Lancer Evolution

Postby CaptainSquirts » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Oh man my first 1st place in M1! Took me a couple of years to finally get one. Wish I was there to receive the sticker :tears: .

Fun course!

Here's my 39.316 run.
phpBB [media]
Joe --
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: Miata
First Name: Joe
Last Name: --
Autox Car: Miata

Postby jev61 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Here is my best run of the day, too bad I don't drive as well as Jason does as a 39 second run would have been sweet in the extreme.
phpBB [media]
Joe Vance
Be debt free! http://www.daveramsey.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Loren Williams
Forum Admin
Drives: A Mirage
First Name: Loren
Last Name: Williams
Autox Car: A Mirage

Postby Loren » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:05 pm

The Mayor has spoken. 8-)

Great event in spite of the weather. Pretty sure that's the coldest event we've had in several years. We may have seen slightly lower temps in the first hour of setup here and there, but not ALL DAY. I guess that's the price we must pay for the winter that we didn't have last year.

Thanks for shivering with us!

Results are up. Check 'em.
Loren Williams - Loren @ Invisiblesun.org
The "Push Harder, Suck Less" philosophy explained:
Push Harder - Drive as close to the limit of your tires as possible.
Suck Less - Drive something resembling a proper racing line.
Doug Adams
FAST Elite

Postby twistedwankel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:06 pm

CaptainSquirts wrote:Oh man my first 1st place in M1! Took me a couple of years to finally get one. Wish I was there to receive the sticker
Let Steve co-drive your car for a tenner wager and you will find one under your pillow. Steve gets really fast when there is cash involved. Be warned.

Oh and congrats on your last victory :thumbwink:
Taylor Royal
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: 2013 Mazdaspeed3
First Name: Taylor
Last Name: Royal
Autox Car: 2013 Mazdaspeed3

Postby Evil MS3 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 pm

Lava Speed 05 wrote:Second gear starts suck...

It was a fun day, I need to get over my fear of putting the car in the dirt and just push it harder... I can't wind up in the dirt on every run right? 🤣

Good job Nate and Taylor for taking my lunch money, and I'm drawing a blank on the name of the guy in the 135 who made me look worse than I do on my own. 🤤

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Was a good fight today, I enjoyed it even though I broke my "car in the dirt" cherry (which I hope never happens again) Course was excellent. Pretty deceiving in some spots.

Gonna take a few events to learn to really drive my car again after the new suspension but so far I love the new feel. Definitely more planted and balanced, just have to learn to tweak a few things and maybe drop the stiffness in my rear sway bar. Never been able to get this big FWD car to oversteer this much. A little tweaking and I was to get to controlled. More work to do.

But..... Are we sure we didn't race on ice today?

phpBB [media]
Doug Adams
FAST Elite

Postby twistedwankel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:15 pm

It's awesome that you shared a "booboo". A lot more to learn from your video than some perfect one. :thumbwink:
We've ALL been there at some point but probably didn't have a film of it.
Steve --
Forum Admin
Drives: whatever I can get my hands on
First Name: Steve
Autox Car: whatever I can get my hands on

Postby Native » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:31 pm

Best. Hot. Shower. Ever.
Steven Frank
Class M3 Miata
Proud disciple of the "Push Harder, Suck Less" School of Autocross

Postby Loren » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:46 pm

Here's all I could do today. I was pretty happy with it at the time, as it was 42.5, 6/10 faster than my previous run. And I had one more run to turn that into a 41.x. But, I overdrove the last run, and amost spun the car.

phpBB [media]
Randy Barrera
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: S2000
First Name: Randy
Last Name: Barrera
Autox Car: S2000

Postby Rpwolf » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:30 pm

pinch tires on the front feel better. 38s were there, I need to get back to focusing/preparing adequately.

I was all over the Rev limiter, 3rd run the car would not accelerate (car was too cold?), mis/shifted too much, caused me lose the rear, missed my marks, and overdrove the last section. I gotta fix that, maybe different fluid.

https://youtu.be/mlzxGh6hbX8
Doug Adams
FAST Elite

Postby twistedwankel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:38 pm

So Randy why dosth thou live in the past? I liveth in the past because I sucketh so much in the present.
Doug Adams
FAST Elite

Postby twistedwankel » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 pm

Loren wrote:Here's all I could do today. I was pretty happy with it at the time, as it was 42.5, 6/10 faster than my previous run.
Yep. You totally got me off the line. Who "lifts" with a 3 banger with big rubber? Your run actually looks amazing. But what do I know? I never lifted except where I mashed the brake all to death. Brakes got a hard on.
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Postby Loren » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:57 pm

twistedwankel wrote:Yep. You totally got me off the line. Who "lifts" with a 3 banger with big rubber? Your run actually looks amazing. But what do I know?
It really wasn't a "bad" run. But, to keep up with my competition with my slow-ass car, I needed an "extraordinary" run.

There was more grip than I expected there to be today, and yet... less grip than I've had to deal with since that ONE autocross that I did on the factory tires. Today was the first time I ever got the rear end to step out.

Ben convinced me to keep my foot off of the brake in the slalom, so on this run, I got by with a very slight lift in the middle. I think it's very possible that I never set up far enough to the left for the big right apex on the way out. And because of that, I was a little behind on the next apex, and chasing my tail heading toward the turn-around. Pretty well nailed the turn-around, I think... but, if the car had more grip (and suspension that didn't want to put it on its roof when I try to USE it), I could have taken it faster. I guess I did the return side reasonably well on that run. The big kink before the finish is something else that I probably didn't set up well enough for... and it delayed my throttle input in that final sprint to the finish.

It's funny, SO many people talk about "rotation". "I can't get the car to rotate." "You need to get more rotation." You know what rotation does for me almost invariably? It throws me off-line! I want the car to do what I told it to do, not MORE than that. That was a big part of my problem today. Lack of rear grip made the back of the car slide around in unpredictable ways. If I'd caught on earlier, I guess I could have played with stiffening the front shocks.
Joe Brannon
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: 2004 Corvette Z06
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Brannon
Autox Car: 2004 Corvette Z06

Postby jbrannon7 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:08 am

Loren wrote:
It's funny, SO many people talk about "rotation". "I can't get the car to rotate." "You need to get more rotation." You know what rotation does for me almost invariably? It throws me off-line! I want the car to do what I told it to do, not MORE than that. That was a big part of my problem today. Lack of rear grip made the back of the car slide around in unpredictable ways. If I'd caught on earlier, I guess I could have played with stiffening the front shocks.
I think when most people talk about more rotation they are really saying I need less under steer. This course was short on time and big on thrills. I needed my car to rotate more except when it rotated too much :roll: . I wanted the spinning smiley face but cannot select it. :bangwall:
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Postby Loren » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:47 am

:rolling: :-D :dunno:
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Postby Loren » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:48 am

Probably have the same short code assigned to two emoticons. I'll have to look into that.
Dan Estep
FAST Elite
Drives: An NC Miata
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Estep
Autox Car: An NC Miata

Postby ImpostorDan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:05 am

Fun day as always - weather makes me a bit weary of using it as a baseline - had lots of oversteer available on tap with the new shoes.
Mike --
Autocrosser
Drives: Cobra
First Name: Mike
Autox Car: Cobra

Postby Rawkkrawler » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:14 am

Best run at 39.2, could have been a bit smoother in spots.

Cold day but couldn't think of a better place to be than with this crew, we're all a bit crazy.

phpBB [media]
Mike Dassatti
South Tampa
Everett Morrison AC Cobra
Daniel Dejon
FAST Elite
Drives: 2006 Lancer Evolution
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Dejon
Autox Car: 2006 Lancer Evolution

Postby CaptainSquirts » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:30 am

I agree with Joe, I believe most people (well for me at least) want less understeer. I would rather have the car between the neutral to a small bit more oversteery when a tad over the limit.

Now I don't know if getting less understeer from tinkering with suspension will actually give you more front grip, and the rear can't hang with it anymore, thus rotation (losing grip). Or, you just lost grip in the rear and the fronts still have the same amount of grip but now the car feels less pushy and more fun :grin: . I'm sure you get some placebo effect when your car feels good which will probably make you feel more comfortable and confident , thus you be quicker!? Ah who the hell knows...

Return to “Past Autocross”