July 28 - 2018 Season Finale!

Discuss past FAST events. How did it go?

Moderators: Jamie, Native

Tyler Williams
Novice
Drives: '96 Mazda Miata M3
First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Williams
Autox Car: '96 Mazda Miata M3

Postby Cloud498 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:34 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and concur with Les on course design. Walking it, it felt like it wouldn't be anything special; just slaloms. But it was fantastic to drive. Challenging, but enough space to carry speed in a car that has trouble building it up.

As quite a few people noticed, I wasn't in the car that got me through most of the season and landed me on the podium in the last two seasons. Unfortunately, RIP in pieces Black Miata. I wrecked it and my dad and I spent the past few weekends swapping parts to his S5 champion "red herring" Miata. We got all of the suspension swapped as well as a torsen (with new delrin bushings) and all of the exhaust (complete with some welds to fix the v-band flanges which had apparently failed) except for the header. With the alignment we got on Friday, the car felt pretty much the same as my black Miata with maybe a little less understeer on the Rivals due to the mounts being trashed on the stiffer front sway bar and a softer aftermarket bar staying on the car.

Also, Congrats to Aaron Williams on edging me off the podium and forcing the tie break between me and Joe. I kind of had a feeling he had talent when he was on wide street tires (especially after driving his car), but now that he's on potenzas, he's fast!
T. Williams
'96 Miata, M3
Doug Adams
FAST Elite
Drives: Rotary or Vette
First Name: Doug
Last Name: Adams
Autox Car: Rotary or Vette

Postby twistedwankel » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:51 pm

Cloud498 wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and concur with Les on course design. Walking it, it felt like it wouldn't be anything special; just slaloms. But it was fantastic to drive. Challenging, but enough space to carry speed in a car that has trouble building it up.

As quite a few people noticed, I wasn't in the car that got me through most of the season and landed me on the podium in the last two seasons. Unfortunately, RIP in pieces Black Miata. I wrecked it and my dad and I spent the past few weekends swapping parts to his S5 champion "red herring" Miata. We got all of the suspension swapped as well as a torsen (with new delrin bushings) and all of the exhaust (complete with some welds to fix the v-band flanges which had apparently failed) except for the header. With the alignment we got on Friday, the car felt pretty much the same as my black Miata with maybe a little less understeer on the Rivals due to the mounts being trashed on the stiffer front sway bar and a softer aftermarket bar staying on the car.

Also, Congrats to Aaron Williams on edging me off the podium and forcing the tie break between me and Joe. I kind of had a feeling he had talent when he was on wide street tires (especially after driving his car), but now that he's on potenzas, he's fast!
Boy was that interesting. See you guys next season for sure :thumbwink:
Ken Tuerff
Autocrosser
Drives: Mazda Miata
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Tuerff
Autox Car: Mazda Miata

Postby Magooiii » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:36 am

Cloud498 wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and concur with Les on course design. Walking it, it felt like it wouldn't be anything special; just slaloms. But it was fantastic to drive. Challenging, but enough space to carry speed in a car that has trouble building it up.

Ironically Tyler he set that time in my Miata
Tyler Williams
Novice
Drives: '96 Mazda Miata M3
First Name: Tyler
Autox Car: '96 Mazda Miata M3

Postby Cloud498 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:06 am

Magooiii wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:36 am
Ironically Tyler he set that time in my Miata
You're kidding, right? Please tell me you were on Potenzas.
T. Williams
'96 Miata, M3
Ken Tuerff
Autocrosser
Drives: Mazda Miata
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Tuerff
Autox Car: Mazda Miata

Postby Magooiii » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:23 am

Cloud498 wrote:
Magooiii wrote: Ironically Tyler he set that time in my Miata
You're kidding, right? Please tell me you were on Potenzas.
Yes but old worn out ones. That kid can drive
Dave Williams
Autocrosser
Drives: 2001 Miata
First Name: Dave
Autox Car: 2001 Miata

Postby Blue_Heron » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:44 pm

AScoda wrote: A quick google search suggests late August/early September for Florida hay crops. So, maybe by the start of next season.
Don't fault the airport, though.

Harvesting hay in north/central Florida is not a once a year thing. We used to cut hay once every two to three weeks. The most likely reason the hay at Brooksville has not been cut is the rainy weather. You need at least three dry days in a row to cut, dry, and bale. If the forecast says rain in the next three days, you wait. As tall as it has gotten, they will need to cut it soon.
Dave

P.S. Great season. Looking forward to getting my butt kicked in M2 next season.

Return to “Past Autocross”