Jan 12 Aftermath

Discuss past FAST events. How did it go?

Moderators: Jamie, Native

Loren Williams
Forum Admin
Drives: A Mirage
First Name: Loren
Last Name: Williams
Autox Car: A Mirage

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby Loren » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:17 pm

I had to leave early. Hope the last run group went well.

I see that Ron got the results posted.

http://drivefast.org/results/results-archive/

And Soraya soundly whooped me on her second run!
Loren Williams - Loren @ Invisiblesun.org
The "Push Harder, Suck Less" philosophy explained:
Push Harder - Drive as close to the limit of your tires as possible.
Suck Less - Drive something resembling a proper racing line.
Doug Adams
FAST Elite
Drives: Rotary or Vette
First Name: Doug
Last Name: Adams
Autox Car: Rotary or Vette

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby twistedwankel » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:06 pm

That was a very good course even with tired tires so congrats to Loren once again. Once again Tracy managed to beat me by .113sec so we are very competitive every event other than he's a morning person like almost all of S1. I am a realist. Even if I do buy new tires for my spare wheels I'm not going to catch David or his co-driver as he was 4.7 seconds faster than me in 5th place in S1 and 2nd place overall. DOH. Joe B who is my measuring stick beat me by 3.5sec which all things considered is about where I would normally finish 45th overall out of 115 drivers. His first run was his fastest and then he returned to only beating me by 3 seconds the rest of the day. Cool. This course was pretty easy to mess up if one didn't pay close attention. On my first run I had a brain fart and pushed in the clutch at the wall apex instead of the brake and then just said to hell with it and drove thru the wall straight only hitting one cone. No more cones the rest of the day and very consistent runs. Plenty of time between runs today to cool tires off and kibitz with others if desired. The 2nd run group had a lot of FN people obsessed with hitting cones since it didn't matter?

I wasn't a big fan of the finish area but it was doable with enough heavy braking before the bronco chute. I have to admit I was a little stiff from wrestling my car seats putting in new anti wobble spacers and a brace yesterday. I found an uphostery lady up the street who is going to replace my torn areas with thick vinyl for only $80 in a couple weeks. Awesome, no more black tape sticking to my butt or tugging on those tiny hairs like a cheap Brazilian wax? Like I wouldn't know. I am becoming somewhat of a C5 seat whiz now. What a waste of a life :bangwall: I might as well buy a Mirage next and really get stiff.

Anyhow I talked to a number of folks who really had a great time today in the afternoon session and plan on coming back again soon. :thumbwink:
Andrew Wong
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: Volkswagen GTI/Acura Integra
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Wong
Autox Car: Volkswagen GTI/Acura Integra

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby aw614 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:32 pm

I need to figure out how to get closer to everyone else in m3 since they were in the 40s and behind with a 41.9 :rolling:

But I enjoyed the course, I just got stuck bouncing off the limiter in several sections for a long time, but it was in a spot where if i shifted, I'd have to do a costly downshift so I think that was the best situation for me. The part after the turn around for some reason in the beginning I couldn't read it right always felt like I was going off course or something.

Fastest clean run
phpBB [media]

Last run had one cone, but it felt like I hit more cones...I think I have a front end clunk I need to fix that makes it sound like im hitting a cone. I cant seem to trace it other than I get a POP up and down my driveway, once every so often
phpBB [media]
Kyle Shader
Novice
Drives: 1996 Miata
First Name: Kyle
Last Name: Shader
Autox Car: 1996 Miata

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby Kshader » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:58 pm

Man I needed some quick hands to control my car in the slamlom today, found that out the hard way first run :smack: Gonna try some different shock settings for the PCA event tomorrow to see if that settles the rear end down, otherwise I’m setting the car back up how it was a few weeks ago. Seems the more adjustments I have just means more ways I can screw the car up :snicker:

Looks like I forgot to hit record on my best clean run, so here’s what would’ve been a 1st place run if that pesky cone didn’t come out of nowhere.
phpBB [media]

Bonus footage of my half of the simultaneous Miata spin
phpBB [media]
The Miata in M3 with the gold wheels
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby Loren » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:18 am

Okay, here's my best, 42.8:

phpBB [media]

And I got one of Dan's last run, 43.8:

phpBB [media]

I haven't explored the differences yet.
Les Davis
FAST Elite
Drives: Banana Beast
First Name: Les
Last Name: Davis
Autox Car: Banana Beast

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby lddavis91 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:00 pm

Fun course and you couldn't ask for better weather. Haven't done video in awhile, but decided to break the old camera out for this one. I think it might be time to get a new camera, maybe something that can plug into the OBDII and give some telemetry too would be cool...

phpBB [media]
'13 Corvette GS "Dark Knight", 0'92 Corvette 383 "Banana Beast" , '82 Solo Vee "Wheee Beast", '03 Expedition "Tow Beast 2.0", '18 Yamaha MT07, '16 SeaDoo GTX 155S "Sea Beast"
2014 CM Florida State Champion
Mark 999
Autocrosser
Drives: S2000, Miata, your car?
First Name: Mark
Last Name: 999
Autox Car: S2000, Miata, your car?

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby markzeronine » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:49 pm

In the moment and throughout the day I was thinking "perfect, a nice simple course that seems tight enough to give the miata an advantage "

It wasn't until talking to Daniel and watching the videos that I realized that simple course had lots of good acceleration parts which made those higher hp cars come to life.

Two things worth mentioning though, the car I was driving was no slouch in the power department either, and ftd came from what I assume is a very well setup low horsepower car as well. So, I'd call that a very fair course design!

Perfect weather and a nice and smooth event, well done all
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby Loren » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:05 pm

It was a course that a momentum car could get around quickly... if they drove it just right. And a higher power car could get around quickly... if they drove it just right. I think some thoughtful setup and proper line was critical in either case.
Jason Souza
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Souza
Autox Car: 2016 Subaru WRX

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby JasonS » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Great day all around. Perfect weather, fun albeit challenging course. Cool peeps.

I know my car had at least a 39.x in it but I just could't get there. Pretty sure I was losing time in the offsets on the return side. Always too slow on the first and too fast on the second. I was way late on that second offset every darn time. Way late, probably 5 or so feet late. Kept telling myself to brake earlier but never convinced my foot to listen.
Joe Brannon
FAST Elite
Drives: 2004 Corvette Z06
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Brannon
Autox Car: 2004 Corvette Z06

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby jbrannon7 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:41 pm

First run, the take it easy run, turned out to be the fastest run.

phpBB [media]
Mike --
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: Cobra
First Name: Mike
Last Name: --
Autox Car: Cobra

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby Rawkkrawler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Besides my driving, it was a perfect day! The weather gave it a nice relaxing feel. The spacing was good between runs, gave me a chance to review the course with others. Clearly that didn't help, but it was nice having the option. I experimented with different driving styles on the way out. Smooth and steady seemed to be the quickest, this video was not that run. The way back never really worked out for me. I entered at least one element way to quick early after the turnaround, and never really set myself up right near the finish. 40.569 was the best I could do.

Experimenting with camera location, may need to move it to the side of the helmet.

phpBB [media]
Mike Dassatti
South Tampa
Everett Morrison AC Cobra
Doug Adams
FAST Elite

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby twistedwankel » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Mike just keep the mike on. I like the tunes alot more than the video part. Like a bobble head thing :lol:
Doug Adams
FAST Elite

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby twistedwankel » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:16 pm

JasonS wrote: I know my car had at least a 39.x in it but I just could't get there.
Joe B can always get 2-3 more seconds out of my car than I can on the same day. But that doesn't really help me in the standings. :smack:
Daniel Dejon
FAST Elite
Drives: 2006 Lancer Evolution
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Dejon
Autox Car: 2006 Lancer Evolution

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby CaptainSquirts » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:34 pm

I like the course. Seems like it went by way quicker than the times had. The 39 mark was a goal I wanted and was nice to hit it. Other people getting low 39's and even 38's, you nuts.

Feel like I left a smidge of time in the slaloms on the way out and I had a bad line going into the finish. The turn around, not 100% sure what the best way to tackle it was. Feedback appreciated
phpBB [media]
Steve --
Forum Admin
Drives: whatever I can get my hands on
First Name: Steve
Last Name: --
Autox Car: whatever I can get my hands on

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby Native » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:37 pm

Gonna call out Eric Meucci. Excellent overall finish! Y'all watch this guy...

And I didn't cone away my best run this time - and if I had one more... A line change found me over a second. And Bill got the back end loose again, which helped. :notworthy:

Thank you to everyone who helped out and kept the event ahead of schedule all day! And for all the videos too.
Steven Frank
Class M3 Miata
Proud disciple of the "Push Harder, Suck Less" School of Autocross
Drives: '13 Mazdaspeed3 / '99 Miata
First Name: Taylor
Last Name: Royal
Autox Car: '13 Mazdaspeed3 / '99 Miata

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby Evil MS3 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 pm

Was a beautiful day out for sure and a great time with FAST as usual. This course was just one of those I couldn't get right. The stretch going out was great, but the return stretch I just couldn't get myself setup correctly, usually because I was pushing harder than was necessary. Thanks to Mark for taking a couple rides with me to give him some pointers...I repaid him kindly in the second video below :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Either way, here was my fastest of the day, 42.63

phpBB [media]

The oops run...Pushing way too hard this run and the car let me know. At least Mark and I got to enjoy a nice easy spin. :snicker:

phpBB [media]
#71 1999 S4 Mazda Miata
#71 2013 M2 Mazdaspeed3
Doug Adams
FAST Elite

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby twistedwankel » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:57 pm

CaptainSquirts wrote:I like the course. Seems like it went by way quicker than the times had. The 39 mark was a goal I wanted and was nice to hit it. Other people getting low 39's and even 38's, you nuts.

Feel like I left a smidge of time in the slaloms on the way out and I had a bad line going into the finish. The turn around, not 100% sure what the best way to tackle it was. Feedback appreciated.
RE71's are agreeing with you. You are depending on them way too much. Life sucks and then you die. :smack: Mess with your suspension again. That was cool. :thumbwink:
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby Loren » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:03 pm

Here's your FTD run, courtesy of Steven Hughes. Don't feel too bad, he beat his co-driver by 1.5 seconds, too.

phpBB [media]
Daniel Dejon
FAST Elite
Drives: 2006 Lancer Evolution
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Dejon
Autox Car: 2006 Lancer Evolution

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby CaptainSquirts » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:27 pm

twistedwankel wrote:RE71's are agreeing with you. You are depending on them way too much.
:headscratch:
JasonS wrote:Great day all around. Perfect weather, fun albeit challenging course. Cool peeps.

I know my car had at least a 39.x in it but I just could't get there. Pretty sure I was losing time in the offsets on the return side. Always too slow on the first and too fast on the second. I was way late on that second offset every darn time. Way late, probably 5 or so feet late. Kept telling myself to brake earlier but never convinced my foot to listen.
Where the video at?
Doug Adams
FAST Elite

Jan 12 Aftermath

Postby twistedwankel » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:11 pm

CaptainSquirts wrote:
twistedwankel wrote:RE71's are agreeing with you. You are depending on them way too much.
:headscratch:
JasonS wrote:Great day all around. Perfect weather, fun albeit challenging course. Cool peeps.

Where the video at?
You are coming Monday right? Get the drift? Evo?

Return to “Past Autocross”