Aug 10, a Sunny day in Venice

Discuss past FAST events. How did it go?

Moderators: Native, Jamie

Andrew Smith
Autocrosser
Drives: 90 Miata
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Smith
Autox Car: 90 Miata

Postby SlowMiataDrew » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:53 pm

Loren wrote:
SlowMiataDrew wrote:On a side note, can someone explain why I was penalized on my 6th run? I understand my last two runs weren't during my run group but that is not something I had a say in. Just curious for future reference.
I added a single cone to each of your last two runs. The DNF on your 6th run, I'd assume, was an actual DNF. :dunno: I mean, the time was 47 seconds... ya think maybe you might have gone off-course?

And if it's wrong... get your damned car numbers right so that timing doesn't have to guess who's driving. :whip:
No, I most definitely went off course on my 5th run, no discretion there. Like I said though, I am just trying to understand why the penalties were there to begin with?
Joe Brannon
FAST Elite
Drives: 2004 Corvette Z06
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Brannon
Autox Car: 2004 Corvette Z06

Postby jbrannon7 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:40 pm

CaptainSquirts wrote: You literally waited till the 6th/7th run when it course was the most dry. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then you knew damn well what your objective was.

I <3 u Andrew :lust: .
I have seen FAST regulars do this not be penalized, and brag about how the strategy worked for them.
Freakin' Drew
FAST Elite
Drives: Bewsted and 'squirted
First Name: Freakin'
Last Name: Drew
Autox Car: Bewsted and 'squirted

Postby AScoda » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:49 pm

Andrew and A-A-Ron, you guys do need to come up with some kind of number plate for that thing. Something flat that tape or magnets will stick to.
Loren wrote:Freakin' Drew and his freakin' Mustang. :no:
dan wrote:Freakin' Drew and his freakin' Miata.
Rawkkrawler wrote:Freakin’ Drew and his OTHER freakin’ Mustang!
Andrew Smith
Autocrosser

Postby SlowMiataDrew » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:22 pm

AScoda wrote:Andrew and A-A-Ron, you guys do need to come up with some kind of number plate for that thing. Something flat that tape or magnets will stick to.
Something is in the works and will be on the car for the next event :salute:
Freakin' Drew
FAST Elite

Postby AScoda » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:53 pm

"car"
Kyle Shader
Autocrosser
Drives: 1996 Miata
First Name: Kyle
Last Name: Shader
Autox Car: 1996 Miata

Postby Kshader » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:30 pm

Just here to stir the shit a little more :twisted: I may have evidence to support that all Group 3 runs were technically DNFs, as it appears the left hand apex cone (the one with the pointer after the wall) coming out of the straight disappeared sometime during Group 2 runs. I noticed it when going through my videos as I didn’t remember seeing that cone when helping set back up a bunch that got knocked over at the end of the straight.

Anyways, if I was more tech savvy I’d post a screenshot of the cone I was talking about. But I’m lucky I figured out how to embed YouTube videos so it’s the best I’ve got. It’s the cone I pass at about the 0:18 mark.

phpBB [media]
The Miata in M3 with the gold white wheels
Andrew Smith
Autocrosser

Postby SlowMiataDrew » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:36 pm

Kshader wrote:Just here to stir the shit a little more :twisted: I may have evidence to support that all Group 3 runs were technically DNFs, as it appears the left hand apex cone (the one with the pointer after the wall) coming out of the straight disappeared sometime during Group 2 runs. I noticed it when going through my videos as I didn’t remember seeing that cone when helping set back up a bunch that got knocked over at the end of the straight.

Anyways, if I was more tech savvy I’d post a screenshot of the cone I was talking about. But I’m lucky I figured out how to embed YouTube videos so it’s the best I’ve got. It’s the cone I pass at about the 0:18 mark.

phpBB [media]
Wow, you're right! How did we not catch that? I didnt even notice until now.
Kyle Shader
Autocrosser

Postby Kshader » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:47 pm

SlowMiataDrew wrote:Wow, you're right! How did we not catch that? I didnt even notice until now.
Beats me, I wonder where those two cones actually went? I don’t believe it effects the individual class competition that much cuz they all (mostly all) should’ve ran against each other on the same course design, and Run Group 3 already kinda had an asterisk because of the drying conditions. No harm done in the Official Shader Rules of Autocross handbook then.
Andrew Wong
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: Volkswagen GTI/Acura Integra
Last Name: Wong
Autox Car: Volkswagen GTI/Acura Integra

Postby aw614 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Kshader wrote: Anyways, if I was more tech savvy I’d post a screenshot of the cone I was talking about. But I’m lucky I figured out how to embed YouTube videos so it’s the best I’ve got.
I can't stop laughing at this
Kshader wrote:
SlowMiataDrew wrote:Wow, you're right! How did we not catch that? I didnt even notice until now.
Beats me, I wonder where those two cones actually went? I don’t believe it effects the individual class competition that much cuz they all (mostly all) should’ve ran against each other on the same course design, and Run Group 3 already kinda had an asterisk because of the drying conditions. No harm done in the Official Shader Rules of Autocross handbook then.
The official Shader rules of autocross are ever shifting rules that only seem to favor kyle :rolling:
Kyle Shader
Autocrosser

Postby Kshader » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:32 pm

aw614 wrote:The official Shader rules of autocross are ever shifting rules that only seem to favor kyle :rolling:
A good racer always has their excuses ready :cool:
Loren Williams
Forum Admin
Drives: A Mirage
First Name: Loren
Last Name: Williams
Autox Car: A Mirage

Postby Loren » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:57 pm

It was a Classic event. It was wet. We had fun anyway.

Don't over-think it.
Loren Williams - Loren @ Invisiblesun.org
The "Push Harder, Suck Less" philosophy explained:
Push Harder - Drive as close to the limit of your tires as possible.
Suck Less - Drive something resembling a proper racing line.
Gene Van Glahn
Autocrosser
Drives: VW GTI RABBIT
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Van Glahn
Autox Car: VW GTI RABBIT

Postby Van48 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:09 pm

Had fun, learned from Loren!! :notworthy: was worth the flat tire we blew out on the new trailer on way home and fight got into on I4 while limping the trailer to the nearest
Exit
Daniel Dejon
FAST Elite
Drives: 2006 Lancer Evolution
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Dejon
Autox Car: 2006 Lancer Evolution

Postby CaptainSquirts » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:12 pm

Kshader wrote:Just here to stir the shit a little more :twisted: I may have evidence to support that all Group 3 runs were technically DNFs, as it appears the left hand apex cone (the one with the pointer after the wall) coming out of the straight disappeared sometime during Group 2 runs. I noticed it when going through my videos as I didn’t remember seeing that cone when helping set back up a bunch that got knocked over at the end of the straight.

phpBB [media]
Jesus, from Andrew's video he flew through that section, I thought the kart was just super godly but that makes a lot more sense now. My ftd feels robbed :lol:

:whine:
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Postby Loren » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:15 pm

I'm not entirely sure I drove any better than you did, Gene. Just differently.

Glad nobody got hurt with your tire blowout in the rain, though!
Freakin' Drew
FAST Elite

Postby AScoda » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:19 pm

buncha cot-dam cheaters round here! :lol:
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Postby Loren » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:26 pm

SlowMiataDrew wrote:No, I most definitely went off course on my 5th run, no discretion there. Like I said though, I am just trying to understand why the penalties were there to begin with?
I was confused earlier. Was thinking your last two runs were 7 & 8 rather than 6 & 7. Oops.

Anyway, Joe's observations aside... we've started NOTICING things like people taking extra "fun runs" and people getting crafty with delaying some of their runs for better weather and such. Maybe we've let it slide in the past. (personally, I haven't... though I may not have noticed that it happened) Now, we're trying not to let it slide. It's not fair for certain people to get extra runs, and it's not fair for people to just take their runs when they want to when weather is involved.

Whether it was on purpose or not, you took two runs in the dry when about 30 drivers did almost all of their runs in the wet. *I* could have delayed my last two runs for later, and in fact, I'd already decided to simply NOT take my last two runs rather than be seen as "cheating" in that manner. As it turned out, there was another 2-driver car in our group that was just as behind as I was, and they were running him. So, I just ran in-between his runs, and took my last two... in the wet.

I even had people asking to take "instructor runs in their own car"... "for the benefit of the first-timer they were instructing", which I called major BS on. Legit instructor run in the student's car, sure... but, if they need right-seat time in another car, the solution is to plug them in with someone who's already taking a run!

As mentioned above, there were at least 30 people who got LOTS of wet runs and would have really enjoyed taking some dry runs. Didn't seem fair to give FTD to the one person who DID do that.
Gene Van Glahn
Autocrosser
Drives: VW GTI RABBIT
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Van Glahn
Autox Car: VW GTI RABBIT

Postby Van48 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:49 pm

Watching your smooth technique first hand should make me faster if can incorporate some of that into my driving . Been looking for ways to improve to get a victory over Kyle Shader!
Kyle Shader
Autocrosser

Postby Kshader » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:14 pm

Van48 wrote:Watching your smooth technique first hand should make me faster if can incorporate some of that into my driving . Been looking for ways to improve to get a victory over Kyle Shader!
You should only study Aaron’s videos then. Smoothest driver on the grid (::)
Andrew Smith
Autocrosser

Postby SlowMiataDrew » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 am

Loren wrote:
SlowMiataDrew wrote:No, I most definitely went off course on my 5th run, no discretion there. Like I said though, I am just trying to understand why the penalties were there to begin with?
I was confused earlier. Was thinking your last two runs were 7 & 8 rather than 6 & 7. Oops.

Anyway, Joe's observations aside... we've started NOTICING things like people taking extra "fun runs" and people getting crafty with delaying some of their runs for better weather and such. Maybe we've let it slide in the past. (personally, I haven't... though I may not have noticed that it happened) Now, we're trying not to let it slide. It's not fair for certain people to get extra runs, and it's not fair for people to just take their runs when they want to when weather is involved.

Whether it was on purpose or not, you took two runs in the dry when about 30 drivers did almost all of their runs in the wet. *I* could have delayed my last two runs for later, and in fact, I'd already decided to simply NOT take my last two runs rather than be seen as "cheating" in that manner. As it turned out, there was another 2-driver car in our group that was just as behind as I was, and they were running him. So, I just ran in-between his runs, and took my last two... in the wet.

I even had people asking to take "instructor runs in their own car"... "for the benefit of the first-timer they were instructing", which I called major BS on. Legit instructor run in the student's car, sure... but, if they need right-seat time in another car, the solution is to plug them in with someone who's already taking a run!

As mentioned above, there were at least 30 people who got LOTS of wet runs and would have really enjoyed taking some dry runs. Didn't seem fair to give FTD to the one person who DID do that.
With all of this being said, I was ready to take my final two runs in the wet. When I came back around to grid the starter was no longer at the starting line and informed me that I would take my final two runs in the third run group. Is that my job to tell them to get back to their stations so I can take my final two runs in my original run group? Needless to say it was absolutely pouring at this time and it makes sense to me not wanting the course workers stay out in the pouring rain while I did my last two runs.

As far as wet runs vs dry runs, you say it wasn't fair for me to have my two dry runs count for FTD, how does that work for the people that had most of their runs in the dry (run group 3)? That is indeed where FTD was found, and in the same class as I competed in none the less... I know the driver changed car/class at the last minute but if this were really a points event you have to see where I'm coming from.

Either way, this was a fun event even with all of the rain, I just wanted some clarification on this situation as it is clear to me that there is some grey area.
Kshader wrote:
Van48 wrote:Watching your smooth technique first hand should make me faster if can incorporate some of that into my driving . Been looking for ways to improve to get a victory over Kyle Shader!
You should only study Aaron’s videos then. Smoothest driver on the grid (::)
Can attest, smooth as silk :-D
Loren Williams
Forum Admin

Postby Loren » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:44 am

We just don't want to encourage folks to try to take their runs whenever they want to.

Return to “Past Autocross”