Megasquirt Tune Sharing/Discussion

Post your questions or tips about wheels, tires, alignment, or anything related to preparing an autocross car here.

Moderators: Native, Jamie

Tyler Williams
Novice
Drives: '96 Mazda Miata M3
First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Williams
Autox Car: '96 Mazda Miata M3

Postby Cloud498 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Last event, Steve asked me about sharing my tune. I intend to post the current iteration tonight (I switched from open loop to closed loop idle over the weekend), but wanted to go ahead and start the thread.

Among other things, it would be nice to have a place for anyone working through tuning their car to share tunes, maps, graphs etc. and I didn't see any general megasquirt threads from a very basic search, so I'm starting a new one. I'm also hoping to specifically convince Joe Vance to share his tune (or at least his timing map), so that I can roughly compare his numbers to mine since his came from a dyno and mine came from some research on the internet and a "hey, I didn't hear any knock and it seemed like it might've been a little faster" test run. I also need to keep playing with idle settings and A/C idle up (turning on the headlights currently drops the idle, and idle in general is too rich).

As a general disclaimer, any specific information like timing, fuel, and, on some level, AFR tables should be viewed as setup specific, as copying someone's numbers down will likely not result in ideal running conditions for another setup and may not bring the same (or even similar) results for a similar setup. Any information in this thread (especially my tune when I share it, given its current state) is best used for reference only.
T. Williams
'96 Miata, M3
Andrew Smith
Autocrosser
Drives: 90 Miata
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Smith
Autox Car: 90 Miata

Postby SlowMiataDrew » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:26 pm

This is a great place to start. I've combed through many forums to get to the point where I'm at now with my tune, and I'm still far from finished with it. You mention your spark map, I have some det cans I used once while idling in the garage. Found out very quickly it is hard to do anything with those cans on. Driving, listening, and typing would not fair well. Since you have the car in Tampa now, I'll be more than willing to help you tune your spark map, as long as you return the favor haha. Maybe this will give me the motivation to work on the tune some more... I made some small tweaks yesterday to help with cold starts but the laptop never made it out to the car lol
Tyler Williams
Novice

Postby Cloud498 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:52 pm

As promised, I'm linking my latest tune file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kxrn1ejmjx3te ... 2.msq?dl=0
And so that anybody can look at my current tables without having to boot up TunerStudio, a screenshot of my Fuel, Ignition, and AFR tables (keeping in mind that they're scaled for future boost, so anything above 100% load hasn't really been touched): https://www.dropbox.com/s/up20nu46h3pg4 ... s.jpg?dl=0

I've played with Accel Enrich some, and I may still need to do some tweaking there. I've got it to the point where it doesn't always get really rich and bog with high TPS DOT, so I'm probably to the point that I need to adjust the TPS for WOT curve. It looks pretty aggressive right now, which would explain why the worst bogging is happening in lower RPMs with less throttle input.

SlowMiataDrew wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:26 pm
You mention your spark map, I have some det cans I used once while idling in the garage. Found out very quickly it is hard to do anything with those cans on. Driving, listening, and typing would not fair well.
My current timing map came from adjusting the base map mostly in the mid-to-high load area up towards what is supposedly the ideal timing curve for a stock NA8 pulled from a tuning book somebody on FM's forum had and compared to an FM recommended timing curve, which was fairly similar, and the supposed stock timing curve that I think I found on a spec miata forum. The numbers were more advanced than what I already had, but they still seemed reasonable, and that's where I'm at.

I think the book that was being quoted was Norman Garrett's "Mazda Miata Performance Handbook".

From what I've read, though, tuning based on knock isn't ideal since the engine might start knocking well past ideal tuning, leaving you too far advanced even after you've retarded away from knock. That said, couldn't hurt to give it a listen while tuning to make sure we're not getting into dangerous territory. I've definitely got to start getting together with you to do some tuning (on both of our cars) at the very least. Having the car down here is great!
T. Williams
'96 Miata, M3
Steve --
Forum Admin
Drives: whatever I can get my hands on
First Name: Steve
Last Name: --
Autox Car: whatever I can get my hands on

Postby Native » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:20 am

I'll play too! Will post stuff later.
Thanks Tyler.
Steven Frank
Class M3 Miata
Proud disciple of the "Push Harder, Suck Less" School of Autocross
Drives: Miata
First Name: Joe
Autox Car: Miata

Postby jev61 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:26 am

Tyler asked to see my fuel and spark maps.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... K1_T9aQ9lV
Joe Vance
Be debt free! http://www.daveramsey.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Loren Williams
Forum Admin
Drives: A Mirage
First Name: Loren
Autox Car: A Mirage

Postby Loren » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:55 am

I didn't even know you had a MS on your car, Joe. You're stealthy.
Loren Williams - Loren @ Invisiblesun.org
The "Push Harder, Suck Less" philosophy explained:
Push Harder - Drive as close to the limit of your tires as possible.
Suck Less - Drive something resembling a proper racing line.
Tyler Williams
Novice

Postby Cloud498 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Loren wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:55 am
I didn't even know you had a MS on your car, Joe. You're stealthy.
I knew about the MS, but I didn't realize he was running a Mazdaspeed intake cam. He probably told me about it and it still slipped under my radar. That silver paint may have some of that stealth fighter paint mixed in with it.

Like Andrew, I'm not running nearly as much advance. My AFR table is also not as rich at high load, but somehow my VE numbers are higher under high load/rpm. Probably MAF delete related? I'll have to play around with my tune tomorrow to see what adding a little timing does/feels like. Probably not going to add anything close to the 10 or so degrees more advance in Joe's tune, though, especially not without going richer as well. Right now, the car feels pretty happy in the high rpm range (maybe better than stock, but I'd have to have a direct comparison to really know), but I'm sure there's still room for improvement.

I may also create a tune that uses the full resolution of the tables to play around with fine tuning. It's probably easier to compress the tables back down for boost than it is to expand them.
T. Williams
'96 Miata, M3
Loren Williams
Forum Admin
Drives: A Mirage
First Name: Loren
Autox Car: A Mirage

Postby Loren » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:21 pm

I wonder if Joe is running a knock sensor? That could be a factor in deciding to run timing advance on the ragged edge.
Loren Williams - Loren @ Invisiblesun.org
The "Push Harder, Suck Less" philosophy explained:
Push Harder - Drive as close to the limit of your tires as possible.
Suck Less - Drive something resembling a proper racing line.
Steve --
Forum Admin

Postby Native » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:31 am

Heres' my stuff.
Probably going to dial-back the timing, a little.

The computer sees .3 higher AFR than the gauge, so subtract .3 for the "actual" numbers.

20190224_181943_resized.jpg
Steven Frank
Class M3 Miata
Drives: Volkswagen GTI/Acura Integra
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Wong
Autox Car: Volkswagen GTI/Acura Integra

Postby aw614 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:11 am

There should be a voltage offset setting on the computer to get it close to the gauge?
Steve --
Forum Admin

Postby Native » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:31 pm

I'm sure there's some adjustment somewhere I've missed...
...adding 3 tenths isn't too hard. :dunno:
Steven Frank
Class M3 Miata

Return to “Car Set Up”