Toe and Camber adjustment question

Post your questions or tips about wheels, tires, alignment, or anything related to preparing an autocross car here.

Moderators: Jamie, Native

Daniel Dejon
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: 2006 Lancer Evolution
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Dejon
Autox Car: 2006 Lancer Evolution

Postby CaptainSquirts » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:10 pm

Changed the front sway bar bushings and swapped the fronts tires from one side to the other. Car now wants to wander very slightly to the right which is what I expect it to do since the right side of the roads around me tend to dip to the right. The front sway bar bushings were pretty annoying to get in and out but yea, I think they were shot... But once I get to drive around town I'll be able to gauge better if it got better.

5 bucks for anyone who wants to buy a set. They're slightly used, and never raced on. No low balling please.
20171007_175716.jpg
Joe Brannon
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: M Roadster
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Brannon
Autox Car: M Roadster

Postby jbrannon7 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:34 pm

Your toe was set just about zero, so the car will wander. No more hands free driving. You need to adjust the end links again to zero out the swaybar preload with the weight on the front tires. It would be best to do it with someone that weighs the same a s you sitting in the drivers seat.
Daniel Dejon
Experienced Autocrosser

Postby CaptainSquirts » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:00 pm

jbrannon7 wrote:You need to adjust the end links again to zero out the swaybar preload with the weight on the front tires.
Oh, I thought that was already done? Did we not do that?
Joe Brannon
Experienced Autocrosser
Drives: M Roadster
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Brannon
Autox Car: M Roadster

Postby jbrannon7 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:23 am

We did but it probably changed when you changed the bushings, there was a lot of play in the old ones, so there could be as much as a 1/4 inch difference. Did the end links go right in after you changed the bushings? Or did you just change the bushings and not remove the end link from the control arm or sway bar? Probably close enough if you don't want to go through the hassle of doing it.
Daniel Dejon
Experienced Autocrosser

Postby CaptainSquirts » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:00 am

After swaybar bushing install, taking wheels off and swapping them around. The car no longer wanders to the left when on an even surface. Don't how doing those would fix it but I'll take it.

Return to “Car Set Up”